Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ok, maybe not ALL the way.....

Last week Thursday, I get a call that my brother in law is in the ICU, he has had a severe heart attack, and the 5 stents he already had were clogged completely, so they put 2 more in. There is talk about an open heart surgery but in the same breath, it is stated, that he does not want it, and he does not want to be revived. Can you imagine everything that went thru me at that time? My oldest sister, has had a rough time of it, and I just couldn't begin to think what she would be going thru.  Needless to say, sleep was eluding me that night, and every night since.

Friday, I get a call that he has had another heart attack, and they DID shock him and performed heart massage, but he was awake, be it disoriented, and they were going to do the surgery Monday. It would take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours and they would start between noon and 2. Later it turned out to be an arithmia, but even so.... more stress on his body before a surgery that is not at all without risk.

So......My sister doesn't want anybody there during the surgery, so I'm at home, burning candles, mumbling to myself and in general going nuts! Mondaynight at 8 I still haven't heard anything, and I'm climbing the wall. Turns out, happily, that surgery was over and done with by 5, he's in recovery, and he will be woken up over the course of the night. If he breathes on his own, and his heart beats without help, he can start healing. But the next 48 hours will be critical.

That's the last I heard, so I'm assuming, all is going well..... My assessment of life going to hell in a handbasket, was a little premature. Thankfully!

The downside is, that I haven't slept more than 5 hours since last week, and I'm feeling it. I can't think, when I sit down, I nod off, but when I go to bed, I'm wide awake, and tomorrow, I'm going to have to catch a train at 9, with a stop at base on the way, to get train fare LOL. The good thing is, it's for Sisterday. Nicky and I are going to spend some quality time in front of the fireplace, catching up with eachother. The last time I saw her was around Christmas, and that is way too long! Maybe I will sleep tomorrow :-) and I can get back to what I need to do by saturday.... Keeping my fingers crossed while typing that one! LOL.  I hope to get thru all the emails and snailmail by Sunday, and get caught up with everything else I've been neglecting by Wednesday, and than I should be back to following my schedule of chores, courses and scrapping.......

I'm going to say "nighty night" and set the alarm for 2.30. I don't want to sleep thru Heritage Chat over at Ivy again...... I feel like I have been "phoning in" all my duties with Ivy, Boo, PattyB and Emst. I will get life straightened out, someday, I promise! LOL 

So, don't forget to hug that/those special someone(s) extra tight?

1 comment:

  1. I´m so sorry you´ve had such a lot of anxiety recently. I know exactly how it feels to spend sleepless nights worrying. I´ve been doing that myself for the past week. I hope your brother-in-law makes a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete